We are currently arranging a number of new courses which will be held in venues across Scotland.
Our next set of courses are scheduled to begin in October2014 and include the following topics:
- Getting started in tracing your Scottish ancestors
- Taking your research further
- Organising and recording your genealogy research
- Creating a family history book
- Making technology work for you
The first of these courses - Getting Started in tracing your Scottish ancestors will be held in Linlithgow in West Lothian, Scotland.
This course is ideal for those who want to get started tracing their Scottish ancestors and will introduce you to topics including:
- Getting Started in collecting information
- Finding out more from birth, marriage and death records
- Recording the information
- Online and other sources for Scottish records
We will use a variety of case studies as workshop activities during the classes. Participants are welcome to bring their own laptop in order to undertake thier own personal research during the course. This will require registering with Scotlands People website, which will be demonstrated throughout the course.
If participants are interested, a visit to the Scotlands People centre in Edinburgh will be arranged.
This course now costs £40. Please click here if you would like to book this course, orplease feel free to contact us for further information.
The second course - Taking your research further will also be held in Linlithgow. This course is suitable for those who have already started their family history research or have participated in the beginner course. This course will cover:
- Church records in Scotland
- Using Census records in Scotland
- Strategies for effective use on online records
- Finding family who emigrated from Scotland
- A range of online and other sources for Scottish records
- An introduction to using genealogy software
It is possible that a visit to the Scotlands People centre in Edinburgh can be organised - this will help to put some of your new research skills into practice!
This course costs £50. Please click here if you would like to book this course, or please feel free to contact us for further information.
Each of our courses has a small number of participants to ensure time for individual support. We will use a range of online resources, including access to Scotlands People, Ancestry and FindMyPast.
Final dates and venues for courses 1 and 2, together with dates for courses 3-5 are currently in planning. Please come back to the website for further details or contact us to be added to our mailing list for updates.
If you'd like to know more about the range of courses on offer, or would like to discuss any additional topics for courses, please contact me for further details.